Healthy Resource Links

What if I or someone I know is in crisis?

If you are thinking about harming yourself, or know someone who is:

Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) to talk to a trained counselor.
Or: Call your doctor if you can speak to them immediately
Or: Call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room to get immediate help or ask a friend or family member to help you do these things.

If you are in a crisis, make sure you are not left alone.

If someone else is in a crisis, make sure he or she is not left alone.

Success Stories and Radio Show links

Our Free Your Mind Radio Shows have many moving success stories and links from our guests and experts you can find by looking through our shows here….

Links and information to help yourself in a non-emergency situation:

  • Talk to your doctor about treatment options and stick with treatment
  • Try to maintain a stable schedule of meals and sleep times
  • Engage in mild activity or exercise to help reduce stress
  • Set realistic goals for yourself
  • Break up large tasks into small ones, set some priorities, and do what you can, as you can
  • Try to spend time with other people and confide in a trusted friend or family member
  • Tell others about events or situations that may trigger symptoms
  • Expect your symptoms to improve gradually, not immediately
  • Identify and seek out comforting situations, places, and people
  • Continue to educate yourself about this disorder.

Where can I go for help?

If you are unsure where to go for help, ask your family doctor.

The SAHMSA organization has a national database where you can find local resources near to you:

Caregiver Information

If you are a caregiver… YOU need to TAKE CARE… of yourself first!’

Whether you care for a parent, child or sibling there are things that you must know for yourself so that you can be the best supporter you can be for others.  Always remember this:  take care of yourself first just like you’re told to get your oxygen first on a plane in case of emergencies!

From our experience, you can get buried in so many other issues for your loved ones that you yourself could end up potentially depressed and feeling out of control. This won’t help your loved one so make sure to take care of yourself.

Also, for those of you dealing with a new situation with a loved one or if you’re feeling like you’re going nowhere fast, we have a few tips below from our personal experiences.  These aren’t tips from doctors or other sources: only our experiences.  Always seek the help of a professional for yourself and your loved one first.  We hope these can help you to navigate your role as caregiver.

For more resources for caregivers, please visit our Caregivers Corner.

Important Phone Numbers:

Crisis Hotline:  24 hour daily psychiatric mobile response and access for services (800) 854-7771
Suicide Prevention Hotline (310) 391-1253
Suicide Prevention Hotline (877) 727-4747
Boys and Girls Town National Abuse Hotline (800) 448-3000
California Youth Crisis Hotline (800) 843-5200
Child Abuse Hotline (800) 540-4000
Court Pre-Arraignment (323) 478-8232
Conservatorship Information (213) 974-0407
Domestic Violence / Sexual Assault Hotline (800) 339-3940
Elder Abuse Hotline (800) 992-1660
HIV / AIDS Hotline (800) 342-2437
Help for Persons Living on Streets (310) 966-6508
Homeless Assistance (213) 738-4971
Locating Missing Persons (213) 738-4150
Locating a Person in Jail (213) 974-9083
Protection & Advocacy (213) 427-8747
Psychiatrists Medi-Cal (800) 854-7771
American Medical Response
(ambulance service)
(310) 559-5555
CA Dept. of Rehab (310) 582-8900
West L.A. Psychiatric Emergency Team (310) 966-6500
Poison Control (800) 876-4766
Social Security office (818) 772-1213
UCLA NPI Access (310) 825-9989

Other sources who can help are:

  • Mental health professionals, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, or mental health counselors
  • Health maintenance organizations
  • Community mental health centers
  • Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics
  • Mental health programs at universities or medical schools
  • State hospital outpatient clinics
  • Family services, social agencies, or clergy
  • Peer support groups
  • Private clinics and facilities
  • Employee assistance programs
  • Local medical and psychiatric societies.

You can also check the phone book under “mental health,” “health,” “social services,” “hotlines,” or “physicians” for phone numbers and addresses. An emergency room doctor can provide temporary help and can tell you where and how to get further help.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply