We receive emails and correspondence from people with questions about resources, and Sherry Gaba, author of the “Law of Sobriety” and frequent guest on “Celebrity Rehab” and “Celebrity Sex Rehab” joins us to give some tips about and explain co-occurring disorders. In our Proposition 63 Mental Health Services Action Segment, Dr. Maria Aguilar joins Jennifer Whitney to talk about the success of the Northeast Wellness Center, based in the Highland Park area of Los Angeles and why the funds provided by voter approved Prop. 63 make a huge difference in their previously underserved community.
- Its Recovery month!
- Sherri Gaba- Topic Today: Duel Diagnosis
- Sherri answers a question from a listener-a mother is suffering from bi-polar disorder and had issues getting medication. Luckily there are medications these days that can make you live a completely normal life. Rehab and medication can work together really well to take care of the mind, body and spirit.
- When you have a child that has a substance abuse problem, try to get them stabilized and have them seek treatment.
- Sgabatherapy.com or thelawofsobriety.com
- Recovery is possible!
- When anyone expresses thoughts of suiceide, take it seriously. Call 800-273-TALK.
Prop 63 segment
- Guest- LA Dept of Mental Health- Northeast Wellness Center, Dr. Maria Aguilar
- The Wellness Center was initiated after receiving funding from Prop 63. It gave them funds to open center to help clients who are struggling with severe mental health issues.
- They seek a lot of bilingual and Spanish speakers.
- A major obstacle they face is shame. Latino community has a lot of denial, not wanting to accept that there is something wrong, and trying to take care of the problems on their own.
- There is a family support group. The family needs to be involved to help the client.
- Many of the peer advocates are volunteers.
- There are a ton of success stories. One man completely turned his life around after seeking treatment at the Northeast Wellness Center.